We're always looking for natural ways to treat ourselves, and over the years we've found some effective options. One of our favorite remedies is definitely apple cider vinegar. From upset stomachs and stuffy noses to losing weight and lowering cholesterol, the wide-ranging benefits of using apple cider vinegar are clear. And thankfully, it's readily available and easy to use!
7 Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits Your Body
Apple cider vinegar has been used as a tasty condiment since 5000 BC, and its medicinal benefits were recorded in Biblical times and by Hippocrates in ancient Greece. Apple cider vinegar is made from fermented apples and is unique in its makeup, containing impressive levels of vitamins, amino acids, fiber, potassium, calcium, copper and magnesium, all of which combine to provide these astounding health benefits.
NOTE: Choose organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (with the mother) whenever possible to achieve the best possible results. Also, if you just can't stand the taste of ACV, you could look into apple cider vinegar pills. Because pills are processed more than liquid vinegar, they may not be able to provide the full range of benefits, however, there are some quality options available.
- Upset Stomach and Heartburn Remedy. Mix 1-3 teaspoons with 8oz of water or apple juice, and sip on it for quick relief. If you have diarrhea from a bacterial infection, the antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar will help with that too.
- Lower Cholesterol. Several studies have shown 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar per day can help lower cholesterol. If you've had high cholesterol in the past, it's always a good idea to get regular check ups with your doctor.
- Relieve a Sore Throat. Mix 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup warm water and gargle once an hour until you feel relief. You can also make a tonic to use as an internal antimicrobial, antibacterial treatment by mixing 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar in 1/4 cup water and drink 1-2 times per day until the sore throat subsides.
- Weight Loss Aid. Having 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 8oz of water before or after eating makes you feel full and suppresses appetite, helps control blood sugar and insulin, speeds up your metabolism and aids in fat breakdown.
- Acne Treatment. Dabbing apple cider vinegar diluted with water on the face twice daily works like a toner and helps dry out acne pimples. People with sensitive skin should dilute with more water.
- Whiten Teeth and Eliminate Bad Breath. Gargling with apple cider vinegar can remove stains from teeth and kill bacteria in the mouth that makes your breath smell bad. But use caution because vinegar is acidic and should not be gargled daily over long periods of time.
- Nasal Congestion Relief. Apple cider vinegar contains potassium decreases mucus production. It's also antimicrobial and effective at killing germs and bacteria that cause illness.
What are your favorite uses for apple cider vinegar?