Looking at the plastic that comes into contact with our food, we realized we’re surrounded by plastic drinking straws too. So what are they made from?
For the last two months the number one search term entered by our readers has been “toothbrush,” so we set out to locate BPA, PVC and Phthalate-free toothbrushes for the whole family. We were pleasantly surprised in many cases, and of course disappointed at the same time by the number of companies that wouldn’t even respond.
Here’s a preliminary list to get you brushing in non-toxic style! We found that most toothbrushes are made from polypropylene (#5) and nylon (for the bristles). We’ll continue adding to the list as we learn about more options.
- WooBamboo Toothbrushes for the whole family
- Green Sprouts: Finger Toothbrush, Baby Toothbrush and My First Toothbrush Set
- Preserve Jr. and Adult (made from 100% recycled plastic, including Stonyfield Farm® yogurt cups)
- MAM Learn to Brush Set
- RazBaby (made from 100% silicone)
- Nuby Oral Massager and Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
- Kushies Baby Banana Brush and Baby's 1st Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
- Baby Buddy Baby's 1st Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
- Smile Brite (Bunnies and Child's First)
SafeMama found the following options as well:
- Oral B: carries a bevy of children’s toothbrushes, and we were pleased to find that ALL children’s toothbrushes are made with polypropylene (#5) plastic.
- The First Years American Red Cross Infant to Toddler Oral Care Kit: Polypropylene #5 (outer) TPA Krayton (inner) and have nylon bristles
- Summer Infant Oral Care Kit: Polypropylene #5 with nylon bristles; Infant Finger Brush: Silicone
What are your favorite non-toxic toothbrushes?