How in the world do you know if you have a non-toxic dishwasher? Let’s take a walk down the aisles of the home appliance store to find out!
For the last two months the number one search term entered by our readers has been “toothbrush,” so we set out to locate BPA, PVC and Phthalate-free toothbrushes for the whole family. We were pleasantly surprised in many cases, and of course disappointed at the same time by the number of companies that wouldn’t even respond.
Here’s a preliminary list to get you brushing in non-toxic style! We found that most toothbrushes are made from polypropylene (#5) and nylon (for the bristles). We’ll continue adding to the list as we learn about more options.
- WooBamboo Toothbrushes for the whole family
- Green Sprouts: Finger Toothbrush, Baby Toothbrush and My First Toothbrush Set
- Preserve Jr. and Adult (made from 100% recycled plastic, including Stonyfield Farm® yogurt cups)
- MAM Learn to Brush Set
- RazBaby (made from 100% silicone)
- Nuby Oral Massager and Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
- Kushies Baby Banana Brush and Baby's 1st Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
- Baby Buddy Baby's 1st Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
- Smile Brite (Bunnies and Child's First)
SafeMama found the following options as well:
- Oral B: carries a bevy of children’s toothbrushes, and we were pleased to find that ALL children’s toothbrushes are made with polypropylene (#5) plastic.
- The First Years American Red Cross Infant to Toddler Oral Care Kit: Polypropylene #5 (outer) TPA Krayton (inner) and have nylon bristles
- Summer Infant Oral Care Kit: Polypropylene #5 with nylon bristles; Infant Finger Brush: Silicone
What are your favorite non-toxic toothbrushes?
Today we're tackling another great suggestion submitted by one of our readers: what type of plastic are Foodsaver and Seal-a-Meal vacuum bags made from and is it safe?
We spoke with Jarden Consumer Solutions, who happens to make both products, and confirmed that all of their 5 ply vacuum bags are made from poly nylon plastic. They explained that the bags are a polyethylene/nylon blend and all bags are BPA-free. And they are made without PVC and phthalates as well. This is great news for folks who buy their food in bulk and freeze extras for future use!
Photo credit: Jarden Consumer Solutions