We are continually looking for ways to reduce our affect on the environment while also reducing our environment’s effects on us. I try to be aware of the hundreds of chemicals and toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis and by their very use are introduced into our eco-system. While keeping a watchful eye for products that do just that, we found the SmartKlean Laundry Ball.
This non-detergent laundry ball uses ceramics found in nature to boost water’s ability to physically clean the dirt from your clothes, unlike your standard detergents, made from petrochemicals derived from crude oil, which mask clean and leave an unnaturally strong scent.
- It’s non-toxic and eco-friendly. The ball is made from a safe and recyclable thermoplastic (no PVC!). The Ceramics contained inside are fully bio-degradable at the end of use. Choosing not to use the traditional detergent means you are doing your part by reducing the thousands of pounds of chemicals and toxins being flushed into our fresh water supply.
- Saves energy and money. Since no detergent is used in wash cycle, no rinse cycles are needed. Set washer to a Pre-Soak cycle for shorter wash times.
- Cost effective. Savings from use of less laundry detergent/booster far outweigh the cost of ball.
- Low maintenance. A monthly sunbath to regenerate ceramic micro beads is all that is needed.
- Works great, even on soiled cloth diapers! With the addition of fine sea salt and vinegar, load after load of dirty cloth diapers came out clean.
- Cleans washing machine. For months before receiving the laundry ball, our clothes were coming out of the washer with sporadic black lines. Searching inside and out, we were left with tons of ruined clothes, wondering what was to blame. Nothing worked for removing the cause of the staining but after only a few washes using the SmartKlean Laundry Ball, the black lines are gone.
- Best Results when washing small loads (18lbs or less). With a family of five, continual laundry is a must; small loads are out of the question. It’s recommended to use two laundry balls in these circumstances.
- Certain stains need a little more help. I used Ecover Stain Remover to loosen stubborn oil stains.
- No scent. Although, I mainly prefer unscented products, I keep a bottle of essential oil for the loads that need a little extra attention.
Overall, we were overwhelmingly impressed with the results of the SmartKlean Laundry Ball and would recommend its use by anyone looking to make a healthy change for their family and the environment in the New Year. Thanks to SmartKleanOhio for allowing us to give it a try.