Issue #35: Getting Rid of Bugs Without Toxic Chemicals

Diatomaceous Earth The Natural Bug Buster by

It's True, I've Got Bugs…

by Laura Saville

…in my garden, in my house and on my pets. I've got bugs. I need something to get rid of them, and I refuse to spread toxic pesticides all over my home exposing my family to deadly materials.

Then, I found it. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) would prove to be my non-toxic knight in shining armor, rescuing me from bug hell. And it can be yours too! It works on fleas, ants, aphids and mites to name a few. It even works on those hard-to-kill bed bugs so many people were battling not long ago!

What is DE you ask? It's the fossilized remains of micro-organisms called diatoms and other hard-shelled algae that have crumbled into dust over the years to form sedimentary rock. If you were to examine DE particles under a microscope you'd see what looks like pieces of broken, jagged glass. And that's the beauty of it. Diatomaceous earth works on tiny pests by using its microscopic shards to scratch their waxy exoskeletons whereby the bugs are dehydrated through the exposure of their internal moisture.

Food-grade DE is completely natural, and it can be used pretty much anywhere. It's a very sharp material, deadly to insects, but harmless to humans and mammals because it's particles are so tiny. Farmers add it to stored grains to stop insects from invading their silos, and they feed it to their animals to control internal parasites like worms. People are also known to eat diatomaceous earth for the same reasons. I'm not sure I'll be going that route, but I'll let you know if I do 🙂

So I went to work, spreading the love on my garden, on my pets, and in certain bug-prone areas of my house.

And since I've been using DE, the bugs that were eating my vegetables and killing my garden are gone, and my plants have actually regenerated and filled in the holes that used to be there. My pets have been bug-free so far, and I plan to re-apply every couple of months until the bugs go away for the winter.

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't know about this before!

To end, it's important to buy pure, food-grade diatomaceous earth. Other types of DE contain harmful additives, so be sure to stay away from those. It's also advisable to be careful not to inhale too much DE. Lots of tiny, sharp particles in the lungs would probably be pretty uncomfortable.