Coughing is the worst, especially when it keeps you up all night. It has the potential to turn into something even more serious like pneumonia too, so when my son came down with a sudden dry and persistent cough this past week I whipped up this soothing natural cough remedy to help his body heal itself.
Food is Medicine
We've known the benefits of cinnamon and honey for a long time, but I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate it into our health regiments. Adding other beneficial ingredients like pears, ginger and lemon really amps up the bug-busting power as well.
Pears are extremely high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and other vital nutrients, all of which give the immune system a healthy boost when you're feeling under the weather.
NOTE: Be careful to select real honey for your recipe. There are lots of wannabe honeys hangin' around your grocery store, and that stuff is not good for your health. It's really just ultra-filtered, sub-par sweetener without any natural health benefits.
We're blessed to have our very own honey bees (whose hives are totally untouched by harmful chemicals) that fulfill our healthy honey needs. There are some really good healthy honey options nowadays, or you can visit your neighborhood farmers market to find your local honey farmer.
DIY Natural Cough Remedy
- 2 ripe pears; peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh organic ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 Tbls organic lemon juice
- Place pears in medium saucepan with enough water to barely cover them. Stir in honey and lemon juice.
- Heat the mixture until simmering and liquid ingredients are combined.
- Add ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Cover and continue to simmer 20-30 minutes until pears are soft and easily pierced with a knife.
- Cool to room temperature, then discard the cinnamon stick, cloves and ginger.
- Refrigerate the finished pears with the liquid in an airtight container.
Eat your pears one at a time or all at once. The poaching liquid contains tons of healthful nutrients, so be sure you make use of it as well.