We don't take enough time for ourselves, do we moms? But when we finally get a minute to unwind, we have to worry about what we're putting on our bodies since most of it ends up going IN our bodies. Cue the natural bath bombs so you can get your soak on!
Toxic Chemicals in Commercial Bath Bombs
FRAGRANCE: They're almost always chock full of artificial fragrances and we know what that means (over 3,000 potentially toxic chemicals hiding there! Would you believe that some popular fragrance additives are chemicals that have actually made the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) hazardous waste list?
Not only could you be dealing with gender-bending phthalates and other endocrine-disrupting hazards, fragrance ingredients can also disrupt the vagina’s natural pH balance, increasing the risk of vaginal yeast infections. No thank you!
And by the way, “natural” fragrance, botanical oils, fragrance oils are parfum are all STILL just fragrance, so skip it.
PARABENS: They're petroleum-based preservatives that are well-known estrogen mimics and have been associated with breast cancer. A study showed that not only did the parabens trigger estrogen receptors by turning on genes that caused the cells to proliferate, the effect was significant and the parabens were able to stimulate breast cancer cell growth at concentrations 100 times lower than in cells that were deprived of heregulin.
SYNTHETIC DYES: Vibrantly colored fizzies are definitely attractive to look at but they are suspected to be a human carcinogen and skin irritant. Several of the following recipes from our friends call for coloring, so just be sure to use non-toxic food coloring like these.
GLITTER: Itty bitty pieces of plastic are so unnecessary in a bath bomb! And who needs all that hanging around your sensitive Southern parts anyway?!
DIY Natural Bath Bombs
We gathered 20 natural bath bombs that can be made using totally natural ingredients you can grab without any trouble. And all without the nasties too! So take a couple of minutes to whip one up so you can spend a little nice, leisurely time soaking in the bathtub (no kids invited!) 🙂
- DIY Non-toxic Bath Fizzies by Sugar and Charm
- All-Natural DIY Bath Bombs by Rodale's Organic Life
- Coconut Peppermint Bath Bomb Snowballs by Girl Loves Glam
- 10 Minute DIY Citrus Fizz Bath Bombs by Happiness is Homemade
- Rainbow and Gold Lustre Bath Bombs by A Beautiful Mess
- Homemade Bath Bombs for Kids (with a surprise inside!) by Frugal Coupon Living
- Easter Egg Bath Bombs by Lydi Out Loud
- DIY Orange Bath Bombs by I Heart Naptime
- Cold and Sinus Relief Bath Bombs by Girl Loves Glam
- Homemade Fragrant Fizzy Bath Bombs by Really Are You Serious
- Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs by A Cultivated Nest
- Essential Oil Fizzy Bath Bombs by Sarah Titus
- DIY Lavender Bath Bombs by Mama Instincts
- DIY Sleepy Time Bath Bombs by Fit as a Mama Bear
- DIY Lavender Bath Bombs by Tammilee Tips
- Easy Homemade Bath Bombs by Living Well Mom
- Citrus Homemade Bath Bombs by Simply Designing
- Bath Bombs and Shower Fizzies by Ruffles and Rainboots
- DIY Bath Bombs Recipe for Gifts Using Essential Oils by Passion for Savings
- Homemade Vaporizing Bath Bombs by The Homespun Hydrangea
Have you ever tried making your own natural bath bombs? It takes a little bit of effort but it's worth it and they make great handmade gifts too!