Long leisurely baths. Heavenly smelling body scrubs. Soft organic towels. Sound like something you need in your life? We sure did. Actually, a bath ritual is such a great form of self-care that it's part of our weekly routine.
6 Important Health Benefits of a Detoxifying Body Scrub
We chose these power-packed ingredients specifically for their ability to nourish and rejuvenate the skin and body.
And remember, the skin is the body's largest organ, so it's very important to be mindful of what you put on it because a large percentage of every single ingredient will be absorbed into the bloodstream. Never mind that the plastic microbeads so common in body care products cannot be processed out during wastewater treatment…
- Coconut oil is a nutritional powerhouse that nourishes and protects the entire body with its medium-chain triglycerides, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.
- Raw honey is known to heal a plethora of ailments, and is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal.
- Epsom salt is magnesium, an essential mineral for the health of the body. Many people are deficient in magnesium which can cause insomnia and other health problems.
- Unrefined sea salt contains a host of trace minerals that fill gaps in the immune system.
- Essential oils are useful in aiding the body to heal at the cellular level.
Using non-toxic body scrubs will help rejuvenate the skin and remove dead cells. They also get the blood flowing which helps cleanse the other oh-so-important organs. Not to mention, it feels Ah-mazing!
My Favorite DIY Detoxifying Body Scrub Recipe
Ingredients (makes 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (buy it here)
- 2 cups salt/sugar scrubbers (I used 1 cup unscented epsom salt, 1/2 cup unrefined sea salt and 1/2 cup organic raw sugar. You can use any combination of these, or just one by itself. Totally up to you)
- 10+ drops of your favorite essential oil (I used eucalyptus because I'm in love with that smell, and I put 20 drops in my mix)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (we added honey because of its outstanding health benefits, omit for a vegan version)
- Set the coconut oil in a warm area where it can melt naturally, or use a ceramic pot on the stove over gentle heat. It's better to use non-metal bowls because it can be reactive to certain materials thereby reducing efficacy.
- Add honey and mix.
- Add the salt/sugar scrubbers and stir until well blended.
- Add essential oil drops and mix. Test to see if the smell is strong enough for your liking. If not, add more.
- Transfer to a non-metal container with a lid, and enjoy.
DIY body scrubs make incredibly thoughtful gifts! Grab a set of small glass jars for your next round of gift giving and make an extra batch.
P.S. This recipe is highly adaptable, so just use whatever you have on hand or customize however you want with different combinations of essential oils.
What's your favorite DIY scrub recipe?