Dandelion in my salad, in my saute pan, and in my tea…maybe even a little dandelion wine in my glass 😉 I love those little buggers, and it got me thinking…what other ways can I incorporate this underused wonder? There's no denying the health benefits of dandelions, and I always find myself asking why we started hating them. Besides, I happen to enjoy a thorough smattering of dandelions in my yard once a year. What's the problem anywho??
I was browsing the interwebz on a quest to find some dandelion inspiration when lo and behold I came across The Nerdy Farm Wife's recipe for dandelion lotion bars…Brilliant! Just what I was looking for. I couldn't wait to make my own version, so I ran out to the yard and picked a bowl of yellow magnificence from my very own supply of organic dandelions (they're naturally organic because I don't use any toxic treatments on my lawn, and I made sure to pick the flowers from the front yard away from all the dog poo).
I knew right away what I wanted to add to the original recipe to make a supercharged moisturizing and healthy lotion bar. A little coconut oil, Epsom salt and citrus essential oils are just right for spring!
I just love these little dandelion-infused lotion bars because they're like lip balm for your hands. Just rub one between your hands and a thin layer melts off and coats your skin like a light lotion.
- Gather about 2 cups of dandelion flowers and let dry for 1-2 days.
- Using a 16oz glass jar, fill half way with dandelions and use sunflower oil to fill the remainder of the jar.
- Set your glass jar in a small pan filled with a couple inches of simmering water, and let the dandelions steep in the oil for 3 hours on low. Stir several times an hour.
- Strain out the dandelions and store the oil in a glass jar (I just use regular canning jars with lids).
Dandelion Citrus Lotion Bars
Ingredients: 12 lotion bars
- 1/3 cup beeswax
- 1/4 cup dandelion-infused oil
- 1/4 cup unrefined organic Shea butter
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut oil (We love Nutiva brand!)
- 1 Tbsp Epsom salt
- 10 drops organic lemon essential oil
- 10 drops organic orange essential oil
You'll also need molds to form the bars. I use these 2″ round molds because the finished bar fits nicely in my hands, but you can use any size and shape. Soap molds work perfectly too.
- Combine beeswax, dandelion oil, Shea butter, coconut oil and Epsom salt in a 16oz glass jar.
- Place jar in a small pan filled with a couple inches of simmering water, and let the ingredients slowly melt together over low heat. Stir frequently.
- Once everything is melted, remove from heat and add the essential oils. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into molds, and let set completely.
Then just pop them out of the molds and you're done! I store extra bars in the fridge until I'm ready for a refill.
What's your favorite thing about dandelions?