A quick, healthy breakfast doesn’t have to be boring! This 5 minute smoothie bowl is packed with fiber, protein and fat for staying power.
We're on a grain-free journey at the moment which is new to me, so I've been trying to come up with tasty foods to fill the gap once filled with grains. This Dutch Baby pancake recipe really fit the bill for us — it's great for breakfast and it's got lots of usable protein with the eggs and almond meal.
NOTE: Tapioca starch and arrowroot flour aren't actually GAPS-friendly, so Im actively looking for a substitute for them in this recipe. Maybe a combination of different flours would work as well — I'll let you know!
Grain-free Dutch Baby Skillet Pancake Recipe
- 3 pastured eggs
- 3/4 cup organic milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp almond meal
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch or arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt (we prefer Real Salt or Himalayan pink salt)
- 3 Tbsp grassfed butter or ghee
- Preheat the oven to 475° and put your 10-12″ cast-iron skillet inside the oven to heat up (this is my favorite cast iron skillet)
- Whisk eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in milk next, flours, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- When the oven is preheated, take out your hot skillet and put the butter in the pan making sure it melts and coats the entire inside. Pour in the batter as soon as the butter has melted and place back into the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the pancake is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 6 slices. We like to serve it with apple, a dash of cinnamon, a bit of raw honey or some real maple syrup on top.
Recipe adapted from Nourishing Days.